Scoliosis is a disorder in which there is a sideways curve of the spine, or backbone. Curves are often S-shaped or C-shaped. In most people, there is no known cause for this curve. This is known as idiopathic scoliosis. 80% of the scoliosis cases are known as idiopathic. Since the true cause is unknown, the treatment can only be based on the symptoms. Until now, only two types of treatment have been known to be efficient: the first is the treatment using an orthopedic rigid brace, and the second one is surgery with a spinal system.
Despite some effectiveness, currently available braces, because of their rigidity, are damaging to a certain degree to the normal development of the neuro-musculo-skeletal system .
- Bone structures, especially the rib cage, have to stand significant mechanical constraints that can lead to some malformation and atrophy of mobile structures.
- Muscles are barely active and can only be maintained through a heavy physiotherapeutic treatment.
- Because of the pseudo-atrophy of the spine’s muscular system, it is not possible to guarantee that the correction obtained by the brace will be permanent.
- Finally the aesthetical results are generally poorly acceptable. In most cases, the adolescent prefers the cosmetic results following surgery in spite of the scars.
In order to have better results in idiopathic scoliosis, early treatment while reducing or eliminating any drawbacks as well as using the neuro-muscular corrective potential, we have developed a new therapeutic tool based on an innovative approach. SpineCor the Dynamic Corrective Brace is the first and non-rigid brace which aimed at correcting scoliotic deformation through self-maintained correction of the neuro-musculo-skeletal system. SpineCor full potential is achieved with skeletally immature pre-adolescents with progressive idiopathic scoliosis of less than 30°.
SpineCor changes the dynamic of the trunk while harmonizing the posture. It is a therapeutic means with less mechanical constraints and an acceptable comfort level that preserves and enhances movements with a double therapeutic action:
- Progressive correction of the spine deformation up to the limit imposed by the pre-existing bone deformation.
- Neuro-muscular stimulation and correction.
The design of SpineCor happened through a scientific process based on decades of knowledge on scoliosis and its treatment. Therefore, we can be optimistic about its efficiency.