The Proven Adult Scoliosis Treatment
No adult scoliosis treatment is more effective. The SpineCor scoliosis brace for adults targets pain relief by providing postural rehabilitation and spinal offloading. Scoliosis in adults is typically the result of either having the disease as a child, which has progressed in adulthood, or from the degenerative processes of abnormal aging. The scoliosis can be of any classification (lumbar, thoracic, thoracolumbar, etc) and can result in chronic pain, leg discomfort, digestive, and lung complications.
Adults with Scoliosis are now being successfully treated with the SpineCor Dynamic Scoliosis Brace. However, the goal of adult scoliosis treatment is not to correct the adult scoliosis, as that is not always possible with a brace, but rather to help support the spine and alleviate pain.
The new SpineCor Pain Relief Back Brace is a neuro-muscular-skeletal rehabilitation tool for treating abnormal spinal loading and abnormal posture; it is not a simple back support brace.
Modes of action:
- Corrective movements gently guide the posture and spinal alignment in an optimal direction.
- The elastic corrective bands act to resist the body’s movement back to the abnormal position.
- This constant correction, relaxation, correction, relaxation is, in reality, a corrective postural exercise.
- The brace is able to put a patient’s body through 10′s of 1000′s of repetitions per day instead of the 10-50 repetitions that are typical with other inadequate rehabilitation techniques.
- The SpineCor brace creates dynamic spinal offloading and neuromuscular rehabilitation with the ultimate goal of neuromuscular integration.
The Musculoskeletal Effects of Abnormal Posture and Spinal Alignment:
- Scoliosis and other spinal conditions can affect the balance of body posture and spinal alignment.
- A loss of normal spinal balance creates abnormal loading on the vertebra, discs, ligaments, joints, tendons, muscles and nerves.
- Over a relatively short period of time, abnormal loads on the body tissues alter their functions.
- Over a long enough period of time the structure of body tissues will change in response to the abnormal loading further compromising function.
- These changes can damage the body .i.e. facet joint arthrosis, disc degeneration, nerve root irritation, spinal stenosis, all of which lead to pain.
- Promoting a change in the balance of the posture and the spine can help to correct the abnormal loading.
A recent presentation in Athens, Greece (see article here) has shown that use of the SpineCor brace in adults has been very successful in helping adults with chronic pain from scoliosis.
The process of bracing in adults is similar to bracing children except the goal is support and cessation of chronic pain. The reason bracing in adults is so effective is that the SpineCor dynamic corrective brace is providing the spine with support but it doesn’t limit the movement of the spine therefore the muscles along the spine are strengthened. This allows for better natural support of the spine and less pain.
Case Study / Patient B
26 year old female with a painful adolescent idiopathic scoliosis as an adult (ASA1). Her pain prior to SpineCor treatment was rated as an average daily pain of 7/10.
Using the SpineCor Pain Relief Back Brace, daily 8 to 12 hours for 3 months, she had a gradual relief of her pain to an average 2/10. The initial x-ray shows a 32o right thoracic scoliosis. In the SpineCor Pain Relief Brace 1 month after fitting the x-ray shows an improvement of 8o to 24o. Her pain relief of 1-2/10 and spinal correction have been maintained for over 2 years by using the SpineCor Pain Relief Brace on an occasional basis.
Most adults with scoliosis that have chronic pain, seek the care of Doctors of Chiropractic or physical therapists. Most of these people respond well to their care and at the end have less pain. However, when the care ends and the patient is left on their own, inevitably they forget to continue their exercises and their pain returns.
With the SpineCor brace the brace is the exercise and when it’s on it keeps the spine supported and strong so you never forget to do your exercises because you’re wearing them. Typically adults will wear the brace initially about 18 hours per day. But as the spine strengthens the brace is worn less. Eventually the brace is worn as needed during times where the person feels they need more help during a certain activity.
Find a Doctor
If you need assistance in finding a Scoliosis care professional in your area who specializes in a non-surgical approach and Spinecor Bracing, contact us.
Click to find out more about insurance coverage.