The Proven Adult Scoliosis Treatment
No adult scoliosis treatment is more effective. The SpineCor adult scoliosis brace targets pain relief by providing postural rehabilitation and spinal offloading. Scoliosis in adults is typically the result of having the disease as a child. The degenerative processes of abnormal aging exacerbate the disease. The scoliosis can result in chronic pain, leg discomfort, digestive, and lung complications.
Adults with Scoliosis are successfully treated with the SpineCor Dynamic Scoliosis Brace. However, the goal of adult scoliosis treatment is not to correct the adult scoliosis. Correction is not always possible with a brace, but rather a means to support the spine and alleviate pain.
The SpineCor Pain Relief Back Brace is a neuro-muscular-skeletal rehabilitation tool for treating abnormal spinal loading and abnormal posture. It is not a simple back support brace.
Modes of action:
- Corrective movements gently guide the posture and spinal alignment in an optimal direction.
- The elastic corrective bands act to resist the body’s movement back to the abnormal position.
- This constant correction, relaxation, correction, relaxation is, in reality, a corrective postural exercise.
- The brace is able to put a patient’s body through 10′s of 1000′s of repetitions per day instead of the 10-50 repetitions that are typical with other inadequate rehabilitation techniques.
- The SpineCor brace creates dynamic spinal offloading and neuromuscular rehabilitation with the ultimate goal of neuromuscular integration.
The Musculoskeletal Effects of Abnormal Posture and Spinal Alignment:
- Scoliosis and other spinal conditions can affect the balance of body posture and spinal alignment.
- A loss of normal spinal balance creates abnormal loading on the vertebra, discs, ligaments, joints, tendons, muscles and nerves.
- Over a relatively short period of time, abnormal loads on the body tissues alter their functions.
- Over a long enough period of time the structure of body tissues will change in response to the abnormal loading further compromising function.
- These changes can damage the body .i.e. facet joint arthrosis, disc degeneration, nerve root irritation, spinal stenosis, all of which lead to pain.
- Promoting a change in the balance of the posture and the spine can help to correct the abnormal loading.
A recent presentation in Athens, Greece (see article here) shows that use of the SpineCor brace in adults has been very successful in helping adults with chronic pain from scoliosis.
The process of bracing in adults is similar to bracing children except the goal is support and cessation of chronic pain. The reason bracing in adults is so effective is that the SpineCor dynamic corrective brace provides the spine with support but it doesn’t limit the movement of the spine. Therefore, the muscles along the spine strengthen. This allows for better natural support of the spine and less pain.
Case Study / Patient B
26 year old female with a painful adolescent idiopathic scoliosis as an adult (ASA1). Her pain prior to SpineCor adult scoliosis treatment was rated as an average daily pain of 7/10.
Using the SpineCor Pain Relief Back Brace, daily 8 to 12 hours for 3 months, she had a gradual relief of her pain to an average 2/10. The initial x-ray shows a 32o right thoracic scoliosis. In the SpineCor Pain Relief Brace 1 month after fitting the x-ray shows an improvement of 8o to 24o. Her pain relief of 1-2/10 and spinal correction have been maintained for over 2 years by using the SpineCor Pain Relief Brace on an occasional basis.
Most adults with scoliosis that have chronic pain, seek the care of Doctors of Chiropractic or physical therapists. Most of these people respond well to their care and at the end have less pain. However, when the care ends and the patient is left on their own, inevitably they forget to continue their exercises and their pain returns.
Doctors prescribe most adults to wear the brace approximately 18 hours per day, initially. As the spine strengthens, the patient wears the brace less. Eventually, the patient wears the brace as needed during times where the they need more support during a certain activity.
Find a Doctor
Locate a Scoliosis care professional in your area who specializes in a non-surgical approach and Spinecor Bracing, contact us.
Click to find out more about insurance coverage.